Chat Room Etiquette Chat rooms involve an array of people who log in online in order to communicate with each other and discuss ideas and topics of interest. Reeta Sahoo
Online chatting is a great medium for youth to use in order to meet and engage with people. Online chatting is also used by businesses in order to increase customer satisfaction and revenue. Charlotte Chong, author of the article The do’s and don’ts of chatting with strangers online, states that, “in this day and age, you can practically do anything with the help of the internet. You can order a pizza, find how-to videos, and even make a few friends along the way. Now, there are certain rules to follow when striking up a conversation with strangers online”.
It is imperative for youth to know the do’s and don’ts when it comes to online chatting.
The do’s with online chatting
- Keep the conversation based on common interests
- Be respectful and kind. Remember that the people that you are chatting to are real and have real emotions
- Go into chat rooms where people share your interests and ideas. This way you will have a lot to talk about can easily develop friendships
- Always be on the lookout for any unusual activity. If you feel that someone is pretending to be someone they are not then get out of the chat room and report them
The don’ts with online chatting
- Never share personal details about yourself or any of your family members
- Don’t open links or download information from someone you don’t know. It is very easy for groomers and hackers to create a link, that once opened, gives them access to your personal information
- Don’t engage in topics that you are not comfortable talking about
- Don’t send pictures of yourself online
What online chat means to businesses
An article in Forrester research – best practices: implementing online chat posits that “the influence of online chat on customer experience will continue to increase. A recent report states that one-fifth of both Gen Y (ages 18-27) and Gen X (ages 28-40) consumers located and engaged in online chat when they visited a company’s website”
- Over 50% of online shoppers actively look for different chat options that they can engage in
- 77% of chat users view the ‘chat interaction’ as having a positive effect on retailers and customers due to the engagement and communication
- 63% of customers said that they would revisit a website if they had a good online chatting experience
The above discussion shows the importance of online chatting for youth and for businesses. Remember to stick to the ‘online do’s’ and avoid the ‘online don’ts’ in order to have a successful online chatting experience.